Thursday, 31 March 2016

Porthole beaded quilt

I've just finished this little quilt.


I called it Porthole. It's made using applique and reverse applique. The two fabrics are natural dyed silks. The background pink is dyed with avocado and the mottled front piece was dyed using eco printing with leaves. 

I didn't really plan this piece and it just evolved. I mostly like it although possibly some of the pink and purple 'filling' beads are too straight lined - I need to develop a filler that leaves more of the background fabric showing and is less formal. I do like the three lines of pale beige beads with the multicoloured strands laid over them and might use this as the basis of another piece.

The whole thing is quite small, about 7" square. Here are some close up.






I especially like the little curly ammonite beads. They are quite versatile as they're silvery grey on one side but jet black on the other. They came from my favourite bead shop, the Spellbound Bead Company in Lichfield, Staffordshire.

No prizes for free motion embroidery

I recently bought a new sewing machine as I couldn't drop the feed dogs on mine and I wanted to try some free motion embroidery. I'm very pleased with the Janome DMX300 I bought. I ordered a free motion embroidery/darning foot and started practising. I don't think I'm going to win any prizes.

First attempts:





The flowers were done using an old fashioned spirograph set to sketch the design. I did feel I was beginning to get the hang of it by the time I attempted the cream quilted piece bu I think I've got a long way to go.

Guess I'll keep practising!

Monday, 21 March 2016

March 2016 Bead Journal Project

I've been very busy recently with various projects. I've just bought a new sewing machine and have been trying to do free motion embroidery without much success so beading has taken a back seat for a few weeks. Still, I managed to finish my little March piece in one evening. It was my daughter's birthday and the first day of spring so this piece is very cheerful and full of spring colours.I wanted to cram the beads on to create a feeling of abundance so I piled them up and sewed quickly without too much planning - so different from my other projects. The fabric is a piece from my experiments in confetti dying. It's the drippy one. I also used some of my favourite buttons and I really like the result. Here it is.